To promote and increase the profile of worker health and safety through direct contact with our workplace health and safety committees and members, through use of site visits, and by providing education, resources and guidance across all of the CUPE Local 15 sectors.
Know the Basic Rights to Health and Safety
- Right to refuse to work if you have reasonable cause to believe that:
- your workplace presents a danger to you
- the use or operation of a machine or apparatus presents a danger to you or to another employee, and
- the performance of an activity constitutes a danger to you or to another employee
- Right to be informed of known or foreseeable hazards in the workplace and to be provided with the information, instructions, training, and supervision necessary to protect your health and safety.
- Right to participate as health and safety representatives or workplace health and safety committee or policy health and safety committee members, employees have the right to participate in identifying and correcting work-related health and safety concerns.
- Right to no discrimination
We are here to help. If you need more information on a specific health and safety issue or concern, please contact us.
Are you on a Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee?
Did you know that if you are a representative on a Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee that you are eligible for a minimum eight hours paid OH&S education per year? Take a look at what is offered by CUPE BC Education, BC Federation of Labour, CLC Education, and others.
If you wish to apply for any courses, fill in the CUPE Local 15 Application for Education form and submit it to the union office well in advance of the course. The form can be found at www.cupe15.org/forms
Other useful links:
WorkSafe BC – https://www.worksafebc.com/en
Workers’ Compensation Act – http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/lc/statreg/96492_00
Canada Labour Code II – https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-86-304/index.html
Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS) https://www.ccohs.ca/
Canadian Mental Health Association – https://cmha.ca/
Your OH&S Reps
Committee Member Representatives
Please indicate your name, job title, and worksite in any communications.
Parks Sector (includes Ray-Cam and Britannia) – Henry Lee, Co-Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Alternate – Kyle Larson
Cultural Sector – Courtney Gillen, Recording Secretary
City Sector – Aaron Cook
Alternate – Ravina Lal
K-12 Sector – Tamara Coombes (email@example.com)
Alternate – Cynthia Schadt
College/University – Chad Cammer
Alternate – Eduardo Rodriguez
Health – Mona Mirzayan (firstname.lastname@example.org)